THE BEST PRODUCTS FROM THE ORDINARY!
Updated: Apr 20
I am sure many of you have heard of The Ordinary. It is an affordable skincare brand, that does not compromise on the quality. They let consumers pick and mix active ingredients that are suitable for their skin type and can target their skin concerns. I've tried and tested so many products from The Ordinary, and here is a list of some of the best products I've tried from the brand:
1. Exfoliating acids: Exfoliating acids are my skincare staple. I love glycolic acid, but sometimes also use other types of AHAs or salicylic acid depending on what my skin needs at the time. I love The Ordinary Glycolic acid 7% toning solution. In fact, it was the first glycolic acid product I've tried and I noticed a major difference in skin texture! I use this at night 3-4x a week and once a month I'd use the AHA30% and BHA2% peeling solution, just as a quick skin booster. It's hardcore stuff, but great for occasional use.
2. Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%. Again, this product is on repeat in my skincare routine. Niacinamide is a wonderful ingredient - in fact, I prefer this over the overhyped hyaluronic acid and noticed a significant difference in skin moisture especially during winter time. If you want to learn more about this star ingredient, check out my article here.
3. Retinol. Retinol is the gold standard of anti aging skincare and it has so many other benefits, other than just a wrinkle-reducing ingredient. Retinol helps lighten hyperpigmentation or melasma and can improve skin hydration. It's a potent antioxidant and is something I use all year round. If you're just starting out with Retinol, go with a lower concentration and work your way up. The Ordinary offers a whole range of retinoid products.
Start with The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% in Squalane, then work your way up to the 0.5% Retinol, and when your skin needs it, go up to 1% Retinol in Squalane. This is the only 1% Retinol product that does not give me flakiness and redness. The squalane helps calm your skin down whilst the retinol is doing its magic!
An exciting retinoid product from The Ordinary is the Granactive Retinoid 5%. It is a retinoic acid ester, so unlike retinol that needs to be converted to retinoic acid, this product does not need any conversion steps and can act directly on retinoid receptors! In a way, you can almost say that they are comparable to retinoic acid!
4. Vitamin C. If you're a fan of Vitamin C, you should try The Ordinary Vitamin C suspension 23%. A high strength vitamin C like this can be particularly helpful for treating melasma. As a rule of thumb, you need to go above 8% vitamin C to have biological significance! I recommend using this at night, as it can feel a bit stingy on the skin!
5. Antioxidants. Yes, vitamins A,B,C and E are great antioxidants for the skin, but I like to experiment with antioxidants. The EUK134 0.1% is one of my favourite antioxidants. It is self-regenerative, which means it willl keep regenerating its molecules so you get protection round the clock! I use this in the morning on cleansed skin before my moisturizer and SPF. DO not mix with other acidic products as they can deactivate the EUK. So if you use vitamin C in the morning, don't layer it with this product.
For more information, don't forget to check out my youtube video below and please subscribe to our channel for more exciting videos on skincare :)
The Skin Press